Modern corporations have metrics and processes in place for everything. It doesn't matter if you apply for a job of  a sales representative, financial analyst, supervisor, or custodian. At that place will e'er be some goals you take to attain, and some deadlines yous have to meet in your job.

This is a part of the typical working culture–to always expect more from the employees, to keep them under pressure, in order to reach the best level of effectiveness in the workplace. Well, the results of this approach are highly questionable. Many employees feel a burnout from a heavy workload, and many will too leave the visitor as a result…

But we aren't hither to discuss the working culture. We are hither to aid you succeed in your job interview. More frequently than not, you will get a question about meeting deadlines, the one from the title of this commodity, or a similar one: "Depict a time when you failed to encounter a borderline".

Allow's have a look at 7 sample answers to this interesting question. Do not forget to bank check also my notes below the answers, as they volition aid yous to sympathize which reply you should pick for your interview.

vii sample answers to "Depict a fourth dimension when you had to meet a tight deadline" interview question

  1. In my concluding chore I was responsible for a project of a mobile game development. We knew that our competitors were working on a like game, and my goal was to ensure that we release the game before they do. It was a catchy situation, because we had a minor team of programmers, much smaller than they had, and nosotros were behind them at the start of the evolution. But I applied agile project management, and motivated people to work 60+ hours each week. We were a small team, but I made people enthusiastic for the project, and for the proposition of beating a bigger visitor in both speed and quality. I was balancing on a thin ice though, because I did not want my people to experience burnout. Merely somewhen we managed to get the task done, and released the game before our competitor.
  2. This is my first job application, so I do not really have much experience with meeting deadlines at piece of work. Just I remember a situation from school. I was working on a project with some other classmate, for one of our courses. Two days before the presentation of our findings, they told me that they could not finish their office, due to some problems in their personal life. Instead of panicking, still, I simply decided to practise their role of the presentation. I didn't want to fail. It wasn't easy, and I did barely sleep the two nights, only eventually I managed to deliver a decent presentation in forepart of the class and we both passed.
  3. In my last job in sales I once missed the productivity target terribly, reaching just l% of the desired sales book for the given month. It was a tough period for me, I struggled a bit with motivation and experienced some chaos in my personal life as well. And though I did not realize it for a long time, prospects could feel it in my tone of vox, in my words on the telephone call. I didn't have my usual free energy, the enthusiasm for the product has vanished, my drive wasn't there anymore. Therefor fifty-fifty though I made the same number of calls that month, and followed the proven sales strategies, I missed my targets terribly. I took responsibility for the results, didn't get any bonuses that calendar month, and I also learned an important lesson. It is crucial to separate our piece of work and our personal life, and if yous aren't mentally ready to make a auction, you won't make it. Because customers perceive much more simply your words on the call…
  1. I had to meet such deadlines on a daily basis in my last job. Working as a purchasing agent, I was responsible for ordering the right quantity of materials and products from our suppliers, always before 4pm. The problem was that in guild to go the right quantities, I had to get the orders from our customers, for the next day. Ii of the buyers were really laid back with their plans, and typically delivered them just before 4pm. Only I didn't just allow it get. I firstly talked to the buyers, explaining them the situation, and when they still failed to deliver their orders before 3pm, I actually decided to reach out to their managers. This helped, and ever since they ever sent their orders in time…
  2. I've never experienced a like situation, considering I am an excellent planner. When studying at school, I didn't wait for the exam menses to rehearse the lessons, to set up for the exams. I was preparing continuously throughout the year, so when the exams came and other students did non sleep in the night, ever studying the materials, I didn't have the same trouble. I just went through the lessons quickly one more fourth dimension, and was ready to pass the test. All the same, I sympathize that we'll have some deadlines in this work, and that the workload may be heavy at times. I can assure you that I experience fix to handle it mentally, and hope that my splendid planning and fourth dimension management skills will help me out over again.
  3. I experienced this situation again and again while working every bit an editor. As you can imagine, some people sent their articles simply ane day earlier the close, so I had to edit them in the night, to ensure that the papers are gear up for printing on the adjacent day. Information technology was hard just I never complained, because I sympathise how things work in the news business. Having said that, information technology is ane the reasons why I consider quitting this job and why I utilise for a position of an editor in your publishing firm. I faces deadlines also when editing books, but here it depends more on your planning and time management skills, while in the paper business you e'er wait for someone else to send you their work for editing. You never actually take things under control.
  4. It's borderline after deadline in a job of a pizza maker. In one moment the eatery is empty, and in 20 minutes the place is brimming with hungry people, everyone expecting to get their pizza within 15 minutes, or even earlier… This is what I experienced so frequently in my last job. But I loved the adrenaline of the decorated kitchen, and such pressure and deadline motivated me to learn to work faster, to non waste matter time with whatever unnecessary tasks or movements. I think that I eventually became very efficient in my work, and hope that I will benefit from information technology in the new job likewise.

You lot attitude matters more than anything else

Regardless of whether you eventually met the deadline or failed to run across it, yous should evidence the interviewers that y'all tried. That'due south the most important matter for them.

As long equally they see that you didn't listen staying overtime, or changing something in your routine in lodge to work more efficiently, they will exist satisfied with your reply.

Information technology besides doesn't matter much whether you lot talk about an example from work, or from school. Deadline is a deadline, and the emotions and pressure we experience while trying to see a tight 1 doesn't change from ane place to another.

* Special Tip: This isn't the just difficult question y'all will face while interviewing for whatever decent job. You will confront questions about prioritization, dealing with pressure, dealing with ambiguity, and other catchy scenarios that happen in the workplace. If you want to brand certain that you stand out with your answers and outclass your competitors, have a look at our Interview Success Packet. Upwardly to x premium answers to 31 catchy scenario based questions (+ more) volition brand your life much easier in the interviews. Thank you for checking it out!

Use this question as an opportunity to praise your time management skills

Nobody likes to hire employees who waste half of their working time with unproductive piece of work, or merely hanging around, doing nothing, smoking cigarettes, or staring on the display of their smart phone…

While talking about a borderline yous have to meet, you lot can explain how yous eliminated distractions and secondary tasks, or how you lot simply managed your fourth dimension more effectively, and eventually met the deadline. See sample answers no. 2, no. 5., or no. vii equally a great example.

Do not be afraid to admit that you failed to meet the deadline

Humility, and ability to admit that you failed in your endeavors, is a highly sought quality on the employment market. Sample reply no. 3 is a great illustration of this mental attitude.

Job candidate is not afraid to admit that they failed. What's more, they conspicuously place the reasons why they failed, and the lesson they learned, which should assist them to avoid a similar failure in the future, in their new job.

Not everyone has backbone to talk about failures in the interviews. If y'all opt for a situation in which you had to meet a tight borderline, merely failed to do so, you can easily stand out with your reply. And that should be your goal after all–to stand up out, to make the right impression, and to become a job at the end…

Check also 7 sample answers to the post-obit interview questions:

  • Interview Success Package – Premium answers to all 104 interview questions. Get rid of interview headaches, streamline your training, and ace your adjacent interview. Bank check product page for samples.
  • If you saw a coworker stealing a pocket-size particular, what would you practise?
  • What tin can yous offer usa that someone else cannot?
  • Writer
  • Recent Posts

Matthew Chulaw

Latest posts by Matthew Chulaw (come across all)